Survey inspection of crops – necessary today
Agribusiness is one of the riskiest types of business. Farmers face many risks and challenges during their activity. In particular, unfavorable weather conditions are beyond the control of farmers. However, their consequences can be predicted, and the use of appropriate mechanisms can reduce their impact. In this case, agricultural insurance can be used as a tool for partial compensation of financial losses incurred in case of occurrence of insurance cases.
But the insurance company has a number of prerequisites, one of which is a surveyor inspection of the insured object. If to speak roughly, the insurance company has to make sure that the owner has done his best to get a crop. So, a survey of crops, as proof of the responsibility of the owner, must necessarily precede insurance! The mechanism of the crops survey will be considered in the material.
Suppose you plan to ensure the future harvest of winter crops. You contact an insurance company that performs such specific functions. Before accepting your harvest, an agricultural surveyor analysis is carried out, which will answer the main questions:
- Will winter crops survive under normal weather conditions?
- Is there an opportunity for the formation of the declared level of crops, based on the technology of cultivating the culture on the farm?
Then, an experienced agronomist-surveyor receives a job from an insurance company and agrees with the owner about the date and time of the crops survey. In this task, the contact details of the holding, its area and culture to be surveyed are indicated.
Attention! First of all your farm must be registered in a RIGHT way and have an appropriate cadastral number, otherwise, any insurance will refuse you to provide insurance services, because the incorrectly registered land does not get bail.
What does the Surveyor review of crops starts from?
Each agricultural surveyor, when gets to the explored territory, establishes the exact GPS-coordinates of the point of the field from which the survey of crops starts. The establishing is carried out using the GPS navigator.
After taking pictures of the territory, plants close-up with the root system takes place. Photos are an integral part of the survey, they provide information on the stage of vegetative development of culture, the presence of disease or pests and the depth of sowing of culture. All photos must contain the date and time of the surveyed field.
The agro-surveyor studies of crops include determining the density of crops, the phases of development of crops and their correspondence to the vegetative period, determining the presence of damage. These studies are carried out with the help of an experienced and sharp eye of the agricultural surveyor.
What is the result of the crops survey?
On the basis of conducted researches and obtained objective data, the agricultural surveyor forms the act of inspection of the state of crops at the time of the study.
The Survey Act is made on the field immediately after the review and contains the following information:
- The number or field name that will be specified in the insurance contract.
- Field area.
- Insured culture, its variety or hybrid, the stage of development.
- The average number of plants per 1 hectare of field or the average biological yield of the crop.
- GPS coordinates of the field. In the case of ensuring not only the field but only its part, the contours of the insured territory are additionally indicated.
- Photo numbers that will be used to provide additional field identification.
- Observations on the state of crops, the presence of diseases and pests, the conclusion on compliance with the conditions of cultivation.
- Possibility for crops to alive during winter (if a survey is carried out before December 1) or the possibility of obtaining the insured yield level (if the survey is carried out at the beginning of spring, on the already insured field).
All pictures of the field, crops and their status are also an integral part of the Survey Act and should be kept until the expiry of the insurance contract with the holding.
When is it necessary to carry out a crops survey of winter crops?
The first survey is conducted before entering the culture in the winter, the second – in the spring after the restoration of the vegetation. This is due to the fact that at the end of autumn-winter crops stop growing, and during the winter they can be damaged and die from the effects of winter events. Restoration of vegetation occurs during the spring when the average daily temperature keeps within 5 ° С for 5 days. Sometimes an additional surveyor analysis is conducted in the winter to determine the state of crops during hibernation.
Survey of crops most often conducted for the purpose of further insurance of crop. But harvest insurance is not the only reason for such surveys. They can be carried out at the request of an agronomist to check the state of growing crops. The monitoring of the crop condition, which is carried out by our specialists, is aimed at timely detection of the causes of deviations in the growth and development of plants. This allows our clients, taking appropriate measures, to avoid further decline in yields.